Colon cancer often causes no symptoms in the earliest stages. However, symptoms may become more noticeable as it progresses.
In colon cancer, the stages develop as follows:
- Stage 0: At this initial stage cancer has not grown farther than inner layer of colon and will be easy to treat.
- Stage 1: In Stage 1 cancer has grown. The cancer has grown into the next layer of tissue but has not reached the lymph nodes.
- Stage 2: At 2 stage cancer has not spread beyond the colon. It is still in outer layer of the colon.
- Stage 3: At 3 stage cancer has spread beyond the outer layer of the colon. It also reached lymph node.
- Stage 4: At the final stage cancer has reached the different parts of the body. Beyond the colon wall.
Most of the symptoms of colon cancer are overlooked by patient and can become harmful at later when it become worse. If you having any of the symptoms , seek immediate medical help. One of the common symptoms is blood mix with poop. A home test (screening test) may be available to test for blood in the stool.
Treatment depends on the Stage and type of colon cancer. Other details like health issues and age of the patient is asked for best possible treatment option.
Combined treatment is used to cure certain types of cancer. In case of colon cancer, these are the common treatment surgery, chemotherapy, and radiation therapy.
The aim of treatment will be to remove the cancer, prevent its growth and spread, and reduce any uncomfortable symptoms.